Ramstein Pharmacy provides full outpatient pharmacy services to eligible beneficiaries. To fill prescriptions at any DHA medical facility, all beneficiaries must be validated and registered through the TRICARE office. Patients who don’t have TRICARE medical coverage are required to provide Other Health Insurance (OHI) information before picking up medications. Prescriptions are billed to either the civilian insurance on file or directly to the patient. It is the sole responsibility of the patient to understand their civilian prescription coverage and associated co-pays.
The Ramstein Pharmacy operates a medication formulary following the rules and limitations set by the Defense Health Agency Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee. Storage space is limited; most medications are readily available for dispensing when requested. If a medication is not stocked, patients should expect delivery to take an average of 14-21 days.
Prior Authorizations are required for certain medications. It is recommended that patients utilize the TRICARE Formulary Search Tool:
* It is the responsibility of the prescribing provider to fill out the PA form and submit before pharmacy will dispense medications.
Our Military Pharmacy Services
Ramstein Main Pharmacy
The Main Clinic Pharmacy services all Military Treatment Facility (MTF) provider prescriptions. Patients who are seen face-to-face at the 86th Medical Group or via telemedicine will need to activate the prescription by:
- Coming into the Main Pharmacy and pulling a ticket at our kiosk.
- Calling the Main Pharmacy + Option 3. This is only for activation/pick-up at the Main Pharmacy.
Kaiserslautern Military Community Center Satellite Pharmacy
The KMCC Satellite Pharmacy is located on the second floor of the KMCC Base Exchange (above the food court). This pharmacy services all handwritten (paper) prescriptions and refills.
- Refills must be called in using the refill phone line.
- Please allow two business days for refill to be completed.
- If urgent refills are required, patients must check in at the KMCC Satellite Pharmacy kiosk. Pharmacy workload, staffing, and medication urgency will determine turnaround time.
** All prescriptions are returned to stock 10 days after fill **
German Civilian Handwritten Prescriptions
Prescriptions filled at a DHA Pharmacy must meet U.S. standards for prescribing:
- Provider’s name, address, and contact information
- Date prescription was written
- Patient’s name and date of birth
- U.S. medication name (trade or generic), strength, directions for use (in English), quantity, and approved refills to dispense
- Provider’s stamp and signature so pharmacist can identify the provider
You may transfer prescriptions to our military pharmacy if you have prescriptions at another TRICARE network pharmacy. Patients must bring their prescription bottles to the KMCC Satellite Pharmacy to request a transfer. Patients should expect OCONUS transfers to take about 96 hours.
Patients who activated a medication and left the pharmacy waiting area will need to pull another ticket indicating “Return for pick-up” option at the kiosk. Patients who are waiting for an activated prescription should report to the line after their name appears on the display board.
KMCC Satellite Pharmacy:
Patients who activated a new prescription and left the pharmacy waiting area will need to scan the ticket barcode to “Reactivate your ticket” and will be called to a window when prescription is available. Patients who are waiting in the pharmacy lobby will be called by their ticket number when the prescription is ready for pickup.
Other Pharmacy Options
Germany does not allow medication to be imported. Therefore, ExpressScripts Mail Order utilization is not available. Patients can fill local national (German) prescriptions at a local Apotheke and be reimbursed by TRICARE. For more information, please visit Pharmacy Claims | TRICARE
The TRICARE Formulary is a list of generic and brand-name prescription drugs covered by TRICARE. You can search the TRICARE Formulary
- See how much it costs and where you can get it filled
- See if your prescription needs prior authorization
- Look up the medical necessity criteria
- Get the prior authorization and medical necessity forms for your prescription